Monday, July 09, 2007

Home Improvement?

So finally after months of bitching about the molding on my front door, I got some maintenance guys to come over and take a gander at it. I knew it wasn't going to be an easy patch job or anything, but I didn't think it would be quite as extensive a project as it turned out to be.

Guys had to take my friggin' door off, along with the frame and molding. And then they installed a new door, which is not the same color white as the rest of the outside or inside, re-framed the whole damned thing and pointed out what an ass the last guy to do that was and showed me how bad he screwed it up. I felt like I was on Jake's favorite show "Holmes on Homes".

So now I had a nicely sealed front door that still looks like shit when you look at it the right way on the inside. And that chunked-off molding is gone on the outside (I no longer really have any decorative molding out there). But there still was a slight problem with the back door.

Turns out (and I have no idea how I never noticed this before) that there were 2 little spaces on either bottom corner that you could see clear through to the outside with. So I guess that's where all those ants kept coming from and where a good deal of my air was going.

And rather than go through the trouble of asking that poor guy who busted his ass on the upper-90's for and hour and a half to fix that, I asked him for a simple solution. 1/4" weather stripping ought to do it he suggested.

So I went to Lowe's after work and got some. Heh. Anyways, I paid like $8 bucks for a whole roll of weather stripping, and only used like 3 inches of it. And I by no means did a professionaljob of it, but I think I did about as good a job as a Comm Arts kid could have done. So if it ends up helping me save money on the electric bill (along with the ton of energy efficient bulbs I bought), then I'm happy with it.

I'm just glad nothing caught fire when I was trying to do it myself.

D

2 comments:

Kelley said...

What a man!!!

D said...

More like: What? A Man?