Thursday, September 01, 2005

I will hopefully be a catagory 4 this weekend.

On the road in the Hotel lobby right now. Kind of killing time until they finish cleaning my room (God I love coming back to an spotless room every day!) and putting off running in the exercise room for a little while.

I can't believe that I have completely forgotten to throw any kind of content on here for the past couple of days, but that's what happens when you spend a lot of time driving around looking for schools and doing college fairs until 8:30/9:00 at night.

So, I'm in Tampa right now. It's actually a pretty great city: lots of good schools, several comic book shops, kickass football stadium, lots of strip clubs, couple of Petsmarts, etc... Just wouldn't want to live here because of the hurricanes. Speaking of which, I was dreading coming down here on Monday because of Katrina. Didn't know what to expect really. But the weather was absolutely beautiful for the first 2 days and only sporadic crappy rain yesterday and today. So not bad at all.

Speaking of Katrina: holy shit. I was just kind of oblivious as to how bad it was actually going to be before I left. Just kind of focusing on my own crap. It wasn't until I got here and started to see the aftermath on TV that I saw how bad she wrecked everywhere she went that I really saw how lucky I am. I've heard someone on TV say "This is our tsunami", and that's true. The amount of misery that is happening all over the Gulf Coast is scary. I have to constantly remind myself of how good I actually do have it: a stable job, place to live, my health, my friends, family and dog, etc... So when we start bitching about something, just remember exactly how much worse it could be right now.

As to not end on a crappy note, a small update on Job #2:
Got a call from the HR department at Job #2 the other night (right before the college fair too), and they were trying to set up an interview (whoo hoo!). For Thursday afternoon. The exchange was something like this:
D: "Um, I'm in Tampa right now."
HR: "Really? I'm from Clearwater!"
D: "Really? That's cool. But I don't think I'll be able to make that interview time."
HR: "Oh. I guess not, what with you being in Tampa and all."
D: "Um, yeah. Well, how about Friday afternoon? I'll be back by then."
HR: "Well, the committee won't all be there on Friday."
D: "Oh." (Well, shit.) "Well, how about Tuesday?"
HR: "Yeah, we can probably do it on Tuesday afternoon. I'll let you know."
D: "OK."

Nothing really funny or exciting, just a little more aggravating to me since I told my potential boss I wouldn't be back until Friday afternoon (and he won't be there). Just sucks to have to wait until Tuesday, but at least I have them scheduling me for an interview. See? Ending on a positive note. Keeps those fingers, toes and eyes crossed for me on this. But keep your prayers (if you do that) and thoughts with those who need them much more than I do.

D
Ready for some football, Georgia Southern Eagle football that is! And booze. Lots and lots of booze to drown the memories of me getting closer to 30. No offense.

1 comment:

michelle said...

turning 30 and 35 was harder for me than turning 40, that I did in July....It's heart wrenching watching the Gulf Coast and the devastation and despair that is happening down there, consider yourself lucky to be too busy to think about it...Good luck with the job interview whenever you are able to get to it.