Tuesday, January 16, 2007

SBDA meets BBCA

It’s a good thing that I had yesterday off in order to finish doing all the stuff I needed to do over the weekend, because I was utterly useless for the majority of it.

I got up around 11:00 Saturday morning; just expecting a lazy day of video games, basketball (the GSU game was on Sports South), cooking for the upcoming week, and probably more than a little drinking. And I was partially right. I did watch the tele and I did knock back a bunch at the bar that night, I just never got to those video games or anything else really. In fact, I didn’t really get off the couch starting at 11:30 and ending at 6:30.

Turns out that BBC America was running a marathon of a show that I was curious about: Hex. I hopped on board about a half hour into the pilot and, with the exception of watching the GSU game during commercials, pretty much didn’t change the channel for 7 hours. So yeah, I liked it.


I didn’t expect much from the show at first as it was a very slow build, but once it got rolling I was hooked. You can somewhat compare it to Buffy, but it’s more like the darker season 6 than anything else. But I personally liked season 6’s darker, tumultuous tone; so Hex ended up being a good fit for me.

When I did finally get off my ass to go drink some beer, I set the ol’ VCR to record the last couple of episodes that they showed (I am such a nerd). So I wasn’t completely done with the show after 7 hours, I had to finish watching it on Sunday.

After 2 hours the next morning, I was finally done with all the Hex they’ve shown so far on BBCA (the last season airs this summer I think). But I wasn’t done with BBCA itself quite yet. Those cheeky bastards decided that they were going to try to catch me up on the first season of Dr. Who this weekend as well. Which was nice of them since I’ve been trying to get that from Jake so that I can see what precedes season 2 (which I’m watching religiously now). 6 time & space bending episodes later, and I’m up to speed with BBCA’s schedule for Dr. Who as well.


So now I’m making it a point to check out the BBCA portion of the menu; as show for show, their sci-fi show lineup rivals (if not betters) that of The Sci-Fi Channel. And they’re about to debut another sci-fi show, Hyperdrive, that looks to be along the same lines as a Red Dwarf or maybe “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.”


I knew that the British knew their TV comedy (The Office, Coupling, Benny Hill, etc), I just never knew how well they did the sci-fi too.

D

Plus they also say “shit” a lot without bleeping it and I saw most of a boob too.

No comments: