Monday, November 27, 2006

Best. Channel. Ever.

As I mentioned after going to the Transplant’s wedding, Tuscaloosa has the best channel ever:

“Traffic Channel”!



I kid you not. It’s that damned good.

The screen cycles through 4 different traffic cameras around the city, shows a Doppler screen with current weather, and also offers up the Homeland Security Threat Warning color level too.

But it’s the traffic cams that make it. You’d never think sitting there watching traffic would be so entertaining. But I assure you, it is. So much so, that it was the only thing that Yogus and I watched all Friday, part of Saturday, and one last time on Sunday before we left.

We sat there trying to track cars through the screens, busted out the map to figure out where the intersections were, and yelled at each other about how you can’t just pick the white truck to follow because half of them are white. We also toyed with the idea of trying to make a banner and hang it over the bridge in front of one of the cams, but decided against it. Just think how funny a sign that says “Even people in Alabama think VanGorder should be fired!” would be.

Then came the bright idea to bring Traffic Channel to the ‘Boro. Northland Cable would have the biggest hit ever. At least for the first couple of weeks until it’s taken off the air because of all the accidents; Chinese fire drills; excessive nudity; and blatant disregard for any federal, state, local or FCC laws. But it would be pure, absolute gold until then.

We also thought about replacing the elevator musak that they had with our own live DJs who could take calls and emails, and do a little play by play for the drive times. But then we kept running into all the violations again. Maybe we should see if HBO or Showtime would pick it up…

Sadly, we screwed ourselves on our best idea when forgot to tape 6 hours worth of Traffic Channel to bring back to show everyone just how damned wonderful watching 4 static cameras can be. It could have been passed around and had copies made just like that tape in The Ring, except this tape gets you wasted instead of dead.

D

7 comments:

adubya said...

Um, Why are you watching traffic cam's from Seattle? I used to watch those every day on the web to decide which way to drive home in that horrible traffic.

Erin said...

I'm sorry, but I thought the traffic channel was boring. Maybe it was fascinating to you because you two were drunk the whole weekend. Also, I put up wedding pics as a slideshow. www.myspace.com/ryn31982

D said...

Adub-
To be fair, the pic was just window dressing on top of the post and all I could find. No actual pics of the awesomeness that is Traffic Channel.

Erin-
You are dead to me. D-e-d, dead.

Erin said...

No pound cake for you for Christmas...

D said...

Oooh! That reminds me! I should ask Michael to just record 6 hours of TC for me and send it as an X-Mas present.

Nybble said...

Let me tell you something... My friend an I were driving down to Tyler, TX from NY and unfortunately my car broke down in Tuscaloosa. We were stuck there for four days while I had my transmission replaced and we came across the same station! We were completely mesmerized by it and couldn't understand why. :P That station would be the only reason I would ever go back there! :D

D said...

I told you that channel was awesome.