Monday, May 07, 2007

One of the hardest lessons for men to learn:

Reading the manual.

So the "change oil" light on the dash had been coming on for the past couple of months, but only for like 15 seconds after the car had been started. And yes, I did have the oil changed. I just figured that they didn't reset everything all he way, and I never had the time to have it checked out. And yes I did look through the manual to see if there was something that I could do about it myself. I just never saw anything.

So after I took Grimlock to have the oil changed last week, the light popped back on again. So I took it back a few days later when I actually had some time. The same guy who serviced it came out and sized up the situation.

"You check the manual?"

"Um, yeah. A couple of times."

"Huh. 'K. Can I see it?"

"Um, sure. Here."

Couple of flips through the book later and he turns the ignition to "run", presses the gas in and releases 3 times, the light flashes, Bob's your uncle, and it's reset.

"You missed a page."

"Hunh. Whaddaya know? (other than I'm a jackass.)"

"Yeah, just do that if it happens again."

"Uh, thanks man. I appreciate it."

"No problem (jackass)."

-----

Yet another little something that Dad forgot to teach me, despite the fact that the man drove race cars competitively both here in the States and over seas. Thanks, Dad. Way to turn your little boy into a man.

But on the plus side, the light went off again a day or so later and I felt some small sense of satisfaction at the fact that when I did it, it has remained off since. Until probably tomorrow morning when I start it up.

D

6 comments:

Kelley said...

Men really need to slow down and read the manuals, ask for directions, listen to their women. Maybe you are learning, but I always thought you were a little more advanced than most of the guys I know.

The Icon said...

Excuse me, but what does Manuel have to do with any of this?

D said...

Manuel is one of Hard Hat Julio's buddys, and he's the one who changed my oil.

adubya said...

When I was a boy and my dad and I would start putting together a new model car or whatever, the first thing he would do was throw away the instruction manual. That is my definition of manliness.

D said...

That, and picking fights with grizzly bears and starting a bonfire with random objects included after drinking a case of beer.

And possibly admitting that you cry when watching Brian's Song.

adubya said...

It's impossible to not cry when watching Brian's Song. If you don't, you have no soul.