Monday, June 04, 2007

The Big, Dumb American gets Knocked Up

First, let me get this out of the way: I’m no reviewer. With that said, I’m gonna throw a few thoughts against the wall and see what sticks…


Went and saw “Knocked Up” this past Saturday, and it was pretty good. It didn’t knock my socks off like I was hoping it would; but really, what movie does these days? Oh, and that “knock my socks off” was purely unintentional.

What with this being a Judd Apatow movie, you’d expect it to just be hi-frickin-larious throughout, but it’s not. Don’t get me wrong, there’s a God-awful amount of humor in there; it’s just that Apatow actually writes and, more importantly, develops a real relationship between the main characters (and supporting as well). One that seems like it was ripped right from your or your buddy’s life. So you’re pretty well invested in the whole movie.

Here’s an example:
Every “relationship” movie has the inevitable fight that leads to some sort of reconciliation between the couple (not always guaranteeing them getting back together mind you). But most of those movies have stupid fights based on retarded premises. Not in “Knocked Up”. This fight is one of those knock-down, drag-out, slobber-knockers of a fight that everyone who has ever been in a real relationship has gone through. So even if you start to feel slightly disconnected from the main characters, that will pull you right back in to them.


Speaking of the characters: Seth Rogen as “Ben”, the ne’er do well semi-everyman, is pretty much spot on. And Katherine Heigl as "Allison", that girl that’s just out of your league, but you think you’d be perfect together if she would just slum it just once, is on the money too. The sister and brother-in-law (who doesn't love Paul Rudd?) are a little harder to buy into, but still pretty credible because of their own, involved relationship.

I don’t want to go into too much more of the movie, so as to not spoil anything for those who haven’t seen it yet, but it’s safe to say that it’s much, much more than a relationship movie or even a guy movie or chick flick. Apatow does a great job of taking plenty of real-life experiences and shining them up for Hollywood, but still retaining what makes them real and connects to the audience. And that’s something that you just don’t see a lot now outside of smaller, indy movies.

And at 133 minutes or so, you’re definitely getting your money’s worth.

There. I tried reviewing a movie.

D

1 comment:

Suine Hallock said...

On topic: Not a bad review at all. Sold me on it.

Off topic: Did you attend Aiken Preparatory School in SC for 6th grade? If so, please e-mail me at radical_lukeward@bellsouth.net as I'd love to catch up with you!

BTW, my name is Luke and we were friends when I was a boarder at APS. If I don't have the right Derek, I'm sorry to have bothered you!