Thursday, June 08, 2006

E C F’n W!

(Frickin' Blogger. Won't let me go back and add pictures. Damn. Looks like my writing will have to stand on its own. Sorry about that.)

Well, it happened again. I got suckered back into wrestling. Just like wrestling is cyclical, so is my interest in it. And Vince has finally coaxed me back into the fold again. He got me with 2 things:
1. An interesting Kane angle
2. The return of ECW (Extreme Championship Wrestling)

Kane has long been my favorite wrestler (my collection of figures and a signed photo validate me), but a while back I grew tired of the endless crappy storylines they kept saddling him with. Not to mention all the near misses with the WWE (nee WWF) title that Vince and his lackeys have teased me with over and over. So I stopped watching. The occasional commercial break’s worth not counting.

However, Kane starring in the major motion picture (if you can call it that), See No Evil; has allowed the WWE to actually begin to push Kane as the “Big, Red Monster” and the unstoppable force that he was in the past. The same persona that led him to his singular (but not spectacular) title run. And to further screw with my head, and add to my delight, they are now apparently pitting Kane versus…Kane? This past Monday showed Kane leaving a sure-fire victory prematurely due to a taunting promo on the “Titan Tron”. As he rampaged through the back attempting to find his tormentor, the lights went out; only to come back on with an apparent “classic” or “first appearance” Kane standing right behind him. Classic Kane proceeded to “lay the smack down” (sorry) on the current Kane and skulk off into the darkness, leaving me to express myself with a simple “Huh.”

And now I’m partially back in.

But last night WWE had a special Wednesday night show, WWE vs ECW: Head to Head. I learned that Vince and crew have decided to give the fans what they’ve been clamoring for, for a long time: blood, violence, flaming tables and as much carnage as you can cram into the squared-circle (and out of it too). Last night they let the world know “ECW is back!” And on the Scifi Channel no less.

ECW is bringing back a majority of the established ECW veterans that were both on the WWE roster and off it. Plus, they’ve done a hell of a job at adding wrestlers who never wrestled in ECW before, such as Kurt Angle and The Big Show. It really looks like the WWE is really trying to put everything into this run of ECW, unlike previous incarnations ala the ECW invasion (which was worse than the WCW invasion and NWO invasions). But just like everything else, Vince will probably ruin ECW at some point by putting his daughter, Stephanie (that Jezebel!), in charge or something. Like I said in the beginning, wrestling is cyclical.

And now I’m back in all the way. Well, until everything gets screwed up and goes to hell again. But for now, I’ll enjoy it while I can. Which just happens to be 2 hours at a time on Mondays and Tuesdays, on USA and the Scifi channel respectively.

D

1 comment:

D said...

It'll never, ever be the same again. But, unfortunately, it's as close as we'll get.