Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Have Ferris Wheel, Will Travel

I don’t really trust fairs or carnivals that are set up in parking lots.






No offense. I’m sure the carneys are just as creepy and weird as their State Fair counterparts. And I’m sure the rides have just the same chance at eviscerating or decapitating me as the ones at the Kiwanis Fairgrounds. But I just can’t get behind something that is being set up when I go into Super K-Mart to look for dog food and Rubbermaid; and by the time I come out, it’s finished. Ok, so that’s a slight exaggeration on my part. Only the Ferris wheel and the Scrambler were set up in that 15 minutes. And I’m sure that extreme caution was used and that every, single bolt was tightened by Wayne the one-armed operator/technician/cotton candy vendor/LSD peddler/weight guesser.

I just think that I’ll stick with the roving band of carney’s that I know and trust: the under-enthusiastic ride operators, fucked up ticket ladies, food poisoning-inducing corndog booths, and rides that may or may not have been serviced since I rode them last at the age of 6. You know, the fairs that are set up at the actual “fair”grounds. Not the ones set up behind McDonald’s, Checkers and Chik-Fil-A.

No offense though.

D

No comments: