Monday, October 30, 2006

Studio 60 on the DVD Strip


Damn it. Looks like NBC is getting ready to give Studio 60 the axe, possibly even before the season is over.

This just gives me flashbacks of another highly acclaimed, yet viewer missed, Sorkin show (which I mention every opportunity I get): Sports Night. And if they can it before the season ends, it runs the same course as another fan-favorite show that met its demise before its prime: Firefly.

Apparently, NBC has ordered 3 additional scripts for the show on top of its already planned 13; but low viewership is what’s causing it to be “imminently cancelled”. Drop offs from the first half-hour to the second show that attention-challenged viewers aren’t sticking with the show long enough for it to garner high Nielson ratings. And low ratings mean low chances of survival, even if the show is top notch.

I really really hope that this isn’t the case (maybe it’s just shoddy, initial reporting by Fox News), as Studio 60 is one of my favorite shows on TV right now. I think the last thing that we need on the air is another freaking game show or reality show. To me, that’s a prime reason why viewers can’t sit through a solid hour of television if it’s not in the 9:00 time slot (Lost and Heroes).

Regardless of if it’s to be cancelled or not, I’ll be picking it up on DVD. I’d just hate for it to be just one season of the show. Hell, at least Fox gave Arrested Development 3 seasons to find an audience before canceling the best comedy on TV.

D

No comments: