Wednesday, May 10, 2006

And the quarterback is TOAST!

So tired.
Feet hurt.
Need beers.

At 8:00 this morning I showed up to help set up for our spring Student Appreciation Day. In khakis and my work shoes. Everyone else was in shorts and tennis shoes. Goddamnit! Those bastards didn’t even bother to tell me that I could wear shorts or at least comfortable shoes to work the thing… all freakin’ day.

And then I got asked to work flag football. That shit would have been a hell of a lot more fun if I were in, oh I don’t know, shorts and tennis shoes! But no. There I was tromping up and down the field all day long in khakis and work shoes, sweating like a whore in church and beating my poor feet like Ike did Tina.

And since this was the first year they had flag football, we had to officially establish the rules about 30 seconds before the games started. I didn’t know that they’d never done it before or have any of the actual equipment, otherwise I might have suggested we go over the rules beforehand and buy a handy-dandy whistle and paint to mark the field. But that' just me.

Speaking of "rules", I just went and wrote up the rules that we came up with; and looking at ‘em, they seem to be the “shenanigans-style” flag football. The only thing that seems to be missing is the rule that says after any completion, incompletion, touchdown, interception, pulled flag, etc; you must drink a beer. That would have at least made me forget about my feet hurting. Maybe I can work that in there for next year. Or maybe I should just look for official flag football rules. Stupid alcohol ordinances.

And the day keeps going too. Right after I post this, I have to go help serve food for the students that have night classes (can’t screw the people that work full-time). So I may end up putting in a 12 hour day or so, and it’ll feel like a good 16-18 hours. And no payback at all. Isn’t higher education great?

I am so getting drunk tonight. If I don’t pass out first.

D

No comments: