Friday, May 19, 2006

I hope I can get a bat mitzvah…

I’m thinking of converting from the First Church of Sony to the Pagan Temple of Microsoft.


When the PS3 launches in mid-November (supposedly), there will be two versions available to gamers: the 20 gig for $499 and the 60 gig for $599. That’s right:
Five hundred. And. Ninety-nine. Dollars.
And the slate of games they’re supposed have at launch isn’t even all that freakin’ great either. Most of the games they’re hyping are not gonna be ready until sometime in 2007. Probably late 2007. So if you’re lucky enough to have a hook-up at EB/Gamestop/Best Buy/Wal-Mart/Paulie’s van in the alley/wherever, and you manage to get your mitts on a PS3; by the time you pick a second controller, a couple of games and anything else you may need; that could be over $800.

Because of that, I’m calling “shenanigans”. That’s right, Sony. I’m pointing my finger right at you and calling “shenanigans”. You honestly want me to try and shell out $600-plus bucks for a game system that doesn’t even have any truly compelling games for me to buy when I plunk down all my hard-earned money? Alright, there’s Kill Zone. That’s one. What else you got? Grand Theft Auto 4? That’ll be on the 360 too, Tojo. What’s that? The PS3’s got a Blu Ray DVD player in it? I don’t care. Regular DVD isn’t going any where, so I think my current little Memorex DVD player will work just fine thanks. Besides, HD-DVD will outlast Blu Ray; but that’s another post.



So I’m losing my faith in Sony, and hearing “the call” from Microsoft. Why? Well in addition to the previous rant above, there’s the fact that: the X-Box 360 has all the muscle you’d expect from Microsoft, has proven itself over the past few months with gamer/reviewer raves, and now will finally have the full slate of kick-ass games that we were all promised back at the 360’s launch almost a year ago (watching a demo of Gears of War just about made me have to change my shorts). Not to mention that it’s already cheaper than the PS3 will be, AND will probably come down in price a smidge when Sony launches its Titanic. I can just see Bill Gates calling Sony a bunch of “suckas!” come November.

For now I’ll just have to be content with my soon-to-be obsolete PS2. I just won’t tell it that when I play it, I’m really thinking about playing a 360 instead…

D

And yes, I do know that a “bat” mitzvah is for 13 year old Jewish girls. That just makes it funnier. Don’t lie to yourself, it does.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally, I'm still in love with my SuperNintendo. I pulled it out last week just to beat Chappy's ass in Mario Brothers 3. Of course, playing on a huge tv where Mario is the size of my hand ups the cool factor. Now if I could only locate a power pad... - Blair

D said...

You rock, Blair. You rock hard.