Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Dr. Rosen Rosen

I’ve recently discovered a cool little perk that comes along with my job. Over here (as compared to the last place), I have a little bit more freedom and flexibility within my work day (well, Internet embargo not withstanding). It turns out that I’m able to experience a lot of the cool shit that our students get to participate in as a part of their programs of study. So I get to get away from my desk for an undetermined period of time and possibly goof off or actually learn something useful.

As soon as I found this out, I sent an email to all our full-time faculty asking them to let me know when they were going to be doing something really cool that I could tell potential students about. And I actually got some cool stuff back right off the bat. In fact, I’ve already been to 2 things so far today.

This morning, I went to Surgical Technology’s cadaver lab. They performed a post mortem surgery and removed a guy’s appendix and something else that I didn’t pay attention to. I was too busy looking at both the insides of the “patient” and the hot adjunct instructor that was there in the lab too. So I had my hands full. I really wanted to be able to snap a few pics on my phone while I was in there, but I bet that would have ended badly for me. Again. So instead, I snuck around the corner and took this one of me looking all doctorish in some scrubs.


The last thing any baby being delivered wants to see…


This afternoon I went to watch a Phlebotomy class where the students learned to draw blood from mannequins and check each others’ blood sugar.


They even checked my blood sugar. 109 about 2 hours after eating. Not too bad. Here’s where I got pricked:


Heh.


So far I haven’t heard back from any of the other kick ass programs that may do a lot of hands-on stuff. But I did find out that I just missed out on “use of ATVs as a Wildlife Management tool”. Damn it! That would have rocked hard. Maybe next quarter…

I’ll let you know about any of the other cool shit I get to do, all in the name of “helping out students”.

Yeah, ‘cause that’s what I do.

D

2 comments:

adubya said...

Nice, were they out of sponge bob bandaids?

D said...

Chesty-
Actually, he made me kinda hungry.

Adub-
I was hoping for a Spiderman bandaid, but no joy.

Ali-
They have their moments.