Wednesday, July 19, 2006

“I’ll take ‘The Rapists’ for 100, Trebek”

“The only beer better than free beer, is free beer that you’ve won.”
- Derek

Went to play “Heads Up Trivia” last night with Turner, and we ended up coming in second. Yes, the two, lowly “Monkey-Dogs” challenged and beat out several other teams of at least 5-6 players or more. And the team we lost to must have had about 10 people in it and also plays trivia every Tuesday night, so I’m happy with second. And extremely happy with the free pitcher of beer, courtesy of Connect Statesboro. (free beer = free plug)

Now if you’re wondering, the “Heads Up” in the Heads Up Trivia is that in between rounds, 2 teams send a representative on stage and they go head to head in a best of 5 series about the previous category (sort of). The players ring in by slamming their raised hand down on the “gigantic, wooden button”, and the first to “ring in” gets to answer. Yes, the “gigantic, wooden buzzer” would be the table. Heads Up Trivia is high-tech, folks.

I thought we’d have a chance when we found out the categories: Futurama (got 3 out of 7), Family Guy (6/7), Current Event Sports (4/7), and General Movies (6/7). Had we actually watched Futurama regularly or if I’d been able to catch more than the same 20 minutes of Sportscenter every day; we probably could have made up some ground in those categories. But the Family Guy and Movies kept us in it.

In the “humiliating Derek” segment of the evening, I got chosen to go up and represent the Monkey-Dogs after the Sports category. Yogus said the category would be collegiate mascots, where he’d give us the school and we give him the mascot. I was terrified I was going to just go blank and make an ass out of myself up in front of everyone. And blank I did.

Blank the other guy, suckas! 5 for 5 and a clean sweep. And all I got for my Flawless Victory was my picture taken, so that my ugly mug will be in the next edition of the Connect Statesboro . I was really hoping for free booze. I’d have to wait on that.

But it was the final question that saved the day and secured our precious free alcomohol. Not that we got it right or anything (hell no, we got that bitch wrong!), but that Turner and I were smart enough to not risk all our points, like we initially intended to. Turner , being the precocious, little chemist that he is; decided that it’d be tactically better to risk all but a few points of our total after doing some math in his head. Me, being the pop culture savant that I am, just went with “Uh huh. Ok, man.”

And after the final numbers were tallied, the first place team had 700 and something points, those poo flinging & fetching “Monkey-Dogs” came in a close second with 16 points, and there was like a 5 way tie for 3rd with 0 points. Even my math is good enough to know that 16 beats 0 and gets me free beer.

D

5 comments:

adubya said...

Sweet! Congrats on the free beer. I'm hoping you weren't forced to drink some crap though and they let you choose.

D said...

Stand by draft beer as usual: Miller Lite.

Not a whole lot on tap at Dos unfortunately.

adubya said...

That is unfortunate....

D said...

Still...free beer is free beer. Even if it's not Guinness.

D said...

Jeez! Sorry I couldn't remember that the last name of the Colonel in all the Rambo movies was "Trapper".

Did you know that? That's what I thought. Shut it.