Monday, July 24, 2006

Where does the time go?

There are several hours out of both day and night that I can’t really account for from Saturday and Sunday this past weekend. While I’m actually pretty used to this (I don’t have a problem), this time it wasn’t from drinking (that was Friday night). This was due to one of those special occasions that only happens once in a blue moon…or whenever I give in and pony up the cash.

I bought a new PS2 game.

I know, I know. Not the kind of thing that requires trumpets and confetti, nor the cryptic and overly dramatic intro I gave; but still, I don’t buy games as often as I’d like, so it’s a bit of a medium-size deal for me.

And first, let me state that I usually don’t buy games when they’re released unless I absolutely cannot go on living my life without it. Which is rare. I think X-Men Legends and one of the older Smackdown! games were the only ones I’ve been able to justify buying for $50 after the PS2 came out. Now I have to wait until they become “Greatest Hits” and drop down to $20, which I can totally justify. Well, every now and then.

So what was the new aberration in my time stream? The bane to the dog’s weekend? The very thing that caused me to skip out on an opportunity to go see Clerks 2?


If you’ve played this, then you know where I’m coming from. It hasn’t been voted the “Best Game for the PS2” several times for nothing. Kick ass action, gorgeous cut scenes, constant blood & gore, compelling characters, boobies, infuriating boss battles, tricky puzzles, boobies, and on and on. Oh, and let’s not forget about the best mini-game ever where you gain experience orbs by having a threesome. It’s way better than that shitty “Hot Coffee” mod. You know why? ‘Cause it’s actually a part of the game! Well that, and there's 2 girls... showing boobies. God help me, I am a sad sad geek.

Days turned into nights, nights turned into “Holy shit it’s late!”, and Kratos just kept on going like a Spartan juggernaut. At some point during the weekend (because I can’t remember what day it was), I wondered how far along in the game I was. I was hoping that I wasn’t already almost finished (because I’d been playing it for what seemed like forever), but I knew I still had a ways to go when I got to Pandora’s Temple with all of the puzzles, which is where I left off at last night. Right after getting Poseidon’s trident, to be precise.

My obsession is so bad that I seriously considered calling in sick this morning just so I could sleep in a little and then roll out of bed to start playing again. But instead of an all day binge, I’m sitting here at work going through withdrawals. I mean I’m still not getting any work done, but it’s somehow even more of a waste of everybody’s time with me just sitting here wanting to play instead of being productive. But how often am I actually productive anyways? Maybe I should just call in sick for the rest of the afternoon...


D

4 comments:

Paul said...

I hate video games, but I likey the boobies

D said...

Yeah, I've come to terms with that.

adubya said...

BTW, I'm still trying to get through "Goldeneye - Rogue Agent"

I'm with you on only buying the "greatest hits" ones. Just wait a year and you save $30.

D said...

GoW pissed me off last night though. I spent 45 minutes trying to do one fucking thing. It was one of those puzzles where you have to out run something in order to move on, and there's no way around it. I quit before throwing my controller into the tv and causing even more problems.