Friday, July 07, 2006

You can't go home again...

But you can damn sure visit!

This post brought to you by Guinness. Well, actually, by lots of Guinnesses...


So I'm in South Carolina. Notice I don't put an adjective in front of that. Mostly because I'm pretty fucking indifferent to it. Man it's fucking hard to see and type. Guinness apparently robs you of your since of sight. Must be why a lot of the Irish women look good to the Irish men. I kid, I kid. I'd take an Irish woman right now. I'd take her to an underground fight club and put money one her, but that's another story.

So I'm in South Carolina visiting the family and my step-brother, who's in the Army. He's on leave for a few weeks and I made it up to visit him the weekend he's within driving distance to see. And I'm half-wasted. And I just re-typed that last sentence 3 times. And this past one once. So, I guess I'm pretty damned wasted realy...

Anyhoo, I'm pretty drunk. Wow. I think this is the first time I've actually come thorough on my threat to drink and type. Not like I haven't wanted to, but been able to. I guess having a computer at home mught actually be pretty bad sometimes. Or really fucking funny. I dunno.

Again, anyhoo... so they say you can't go home again. I really don't know about that. A lot of times in the movies they have the protagonist (big word!) go home and end up staying and/or succeeding there; like in Garden State. I mean for fuck's sake Largeman goes back to New Jersey (of all places) and meets the love of his lfe Sam (lucky fucking bastard).

Me? I come back to Aiken and find that it's sprinted past Statesboro in just about every aspect possible: culture, size, history, commerce, cool shit, etc... Every fucking time I come here, there's some new cool shit that it has that the 'Boro doesn't. Like Target, PetsMart, liqour stores, Home Depot, Publix, alcohol on Sundays, and a whole bucnh of other cool shit. And it pisses me off. I know, surprise surprise.

But every time I come back here and see how much Aiken has grown and started to surpass Statesboro (minus the better collegiate sports), I still feel like a stranger or an outsider when I'm here. That's despit the fact that when I left, I had spent half of my life living here. I watched it grow and prosper. But when I left, it tured a big corner. A change that was meant to attract people to relocate to it. Maybe even people like me.

But I can't bring myself to move back. As much as I'd like to be a part of a larger city, or a city with more options, this just isn't my home home anymore. Statesboro is. That's not to say I wouldn't consider moving to another city if the opportunity aroser, because I would. It just would probably never be Aiken.

So if none of this makes any fucking sense, blame the Guinness. I'm just trying to say that your home isn't always where your family and roots are, even if you feel a tug every time you visit. Your home is really where your heart is, and God that was fucking corny as shit. But for now, my heart is in Statesboro.

I have no fucking clue as to how to tie this shit togther any more, so... Go Eagles.

D

5 comments:

adubya said...

Guinness, sweet Guinness... nector of the gods...
not so great for coherent thought but it tastes so damn good. In fact, if it wasn't 7:08am I would have one right now.
And as far as going home again. I did it, 15 years after I left Wisconsin, I came home. Just don't expect things to be the same. You can't put home in a time capsule and come back to it. Everything changes, roll with it.

D said...

Wow. Just...wow.

Paul said...

Pretty deep insights for someone drunk enough to type that badly. But I bet Simon and Garfunkel were stoned when they wrote "Home. Where my love lies waiting silently lie for me."

gsufan said...

Yeah Derek you need some help.....I hear that they have nightly AA meetings in Statesboro

gsufan said...

Yeah true