Thursday, August 03, 2006

A little light reading

Last night, my buddy dropped off the “Firefighter’s Bible” for me to borrow and peruse, and holy crap is that bad boy a read. It’s over 3 pounds and just under 700 pages of fire-puttin’-out goodness. Luckily, there’s a ton of pictures, diagrams and other stuff to help with the learning curve.


“Damn! I guess ‘stop, drop and roll’ and ‘Fire bad, water good.’ aren’t gonna cut it anymore, huh?”


He also let me borrow a study guide for the Firefighter’s Exam and a regular book about smoke eaters telling some of their best stories. I need to try and get through as much of the training books as possible to help with any possible interviews or exams, and the Academy if all things go well. “Be prepared” and all that.

That’s pretty much the “homework” I have for what’s left of the summer. But in addition to all that reading, there’s also everything else that I’m usually trying to read off and on: comics, Sports Illustrated, Wizard, blogs, and random parts of the Interweb. Jeez, that’s a lot of cross training for the old grey matter.

Of course I have to counter-balance all that “book learnin” with some quality time with the TV. This summer has actually had some surprisingly good shows to pass the time until Lost, How I Met You Mother and the rest of the starting rotation return. Eureka and Blade: The Series being two of the best in the bullpen.

So for now if I’m late for something, or you just haven’t seen me in a while (as usual); I’m hopefully being productive and trying to read my new behemoth of a text book. Of course chances are just as good that I’m either playing video games or getting drunk while watching Super Troopers. Again.

D

1 comment:

The Icon said...

Good on you mate!