Monday, April 02, 2007

Medic!

CPAT practice Round 2 last Saturday had the added drama of 2 people requiring some minimal aid from an EMT, and a third who probably could have used it but shrugged them off.

Wow. Talk about an ego boost. There’s people gassed out, barely standing or sitting upright, being brought cold water, and having their heart rate checked…. and I’m standing there asking if I can go again yet. And not to toot my own horn, but I smoked my own best time (and course time of the day) with a minute and 36 seconds left. But I’m putting an asterisk on that one as they forgot to connect the two hoses during the hose drag portion (one good pull and I was most of the way done). But again, no horn-tooting here.

Back to the nearly departed: I really don’t understand how after talking to people who’ve done the course and after watching the video that shows what all you’ll be doing, how someone can come in completely unprepared for something like that and not have trained for it at all. That just blows my mind. The second I realized this was what I really wanted to do, I started preparing myself for any and all manner of torture I could think of, this course specifically. But maybe that’s just it: they’re not taking this as seriously as I and most of the others are.

We kept telling all those who didn’t finish what gym to go to and how to train for every little aspect of the course, but whether or not they actually heed our advice is completely up to them. Having less people to compete against makes things easier on me in one way, but then again I don’t want to see anybody fail if I can help them along. And as usual, I’d rather teach them than trash them. Stupid conscience.

Anyhoo, we’ll just see how things go this Saturday when I go mano y obstacle course-o for the third time.

D

No comments: