Tuesday, January 31, 2006

My Space: It's the devil!

I'm not a big fan of peer pressure. Alright, that's a lie. Let me rephrase that. I'm not a big fan of peer pressure when I'm the one being pressured. Sure, most times I cave because I'm weak. But not this time. I will not succumb to peer pressure and fall into that mind-numbing, over-stimulating, crack substitute, freak show of a parade known as "My Space".

Nope. I won't do it.

You wanna know why? Of course you do. Here's why:
  • I already have enough of a problem with blogging here...and here........and here. (see my point?)
  • I really don't have anybody that I want to catch up with that I already can't do through here or the phone. (that may be kind of sad, actually)
  • Most of the pages that I've seen are enough to either drive me into either a berserker rage or an epileptic fit.
  • I'm cool with the monkey on my back that keeps me checking the number of hits I get here, but I don't want another one that has me freaking out about the number of "friends" I currently have. (that may drive me to drink...more)
  • There is currently no 3rd option for accepting friends. You either do or you don't. There needs to be another one that says "Ummm, let me get back to you on that one" or something so you don't hurt someone's feelings by not adding them. And you're not stuck with a crappy friend you'd rather not have at all.
  • I've wasted (or am wasting) all my humor and creative talent here, so I don't want to spread myself too thin and not be able to hold up my end of the deal over there. Remember, kids: quality, not quantity (in certain situations).
  • The automatic music that plays when you look at someone's page is annoying as shit. So are most of the videos too.
  • 'Cause I don't wanna!

So, I'm gonna try and exercise my willpower and refrain from joining the masses (baah). I shall endure as a blogger for now until I find something else to occupy my time. Not like work or anything though.

D

3 comments:

Erin said...

Myspace is internet crack. I was once against it. I failed miserably. I blame my sisters. I find myself checking it on my cell phone. Yes, I know that it is going to make my cellular bill sky rocket.

Stay away, Derek, stay far away. It will take over your life!

Although, it is kind of cool when you check it in the morning and you have new messages and comments. Makes one feel special.

Or maybe just special ed.

The Icon said...

(For this to work, imagine people gently calling your name in the night)

Derek... join us... you know you want to... make the pain stop... everyone is here... join us... obsessively update your profile... join us... bring me a cherry coke...

D said...

I hear ya. I'd flip out and actually have to do more work. And nobody wants that.