Thursday, January 05, 2006

I should have bowled with the gutter bumpers on...

All righty then. Let's see what the damage was. Original post is below. GREEN means I picked a winner. RED means I screwed the pooch. Any additional comments in BLUE under the originals.

GMAC
UTEP (8-3) vs. Toledo (8-3)
Mike Tice is taking the Miners to another bowl game, but I haven't seen them play this year and I have seen Toledo play pretty well on TV.
TV= good.

Pioneer PureVision Las Vegas
BYU (6-5) vs. California (7-4)
I never pick the stormin' Mormons. Golden Bears it is.

San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl
Colorado State (6-5) vs. Navy (7-4)
Gotta pull for former Georgia Southern coach, Paul Johnson.
Yeah, the triple option doesn't work in I-A.

Fort Worth
Kansas (6-5) vs. Houston (6-5)
I don't know jack about either program this year. First instinct was for Houston, but then I changed to Kansas because I haven't picked a team on the left side yet, but then changed my mind back to the Cougars because you should always go with your first choice, right? So, Jayhawks it is. I bet this one comes back to bite me in the ass.
Phew! I was surprised as Hell about that one.

Sheraton Hawaii
Nevada (8-3) vs. UCF (8-4)
George O'Leary taking UCF to a bowl game after last year's 0-11 season? Shit yeah, pull for them. Might as well pick them too.
Damn it! I knew that streak couldn't last forever. At least it was close and made me look good.

Motor City
Memphis (6-5) vs. Akron (7-5)
Come on, people! It's the Zips!
The Zips got zapped. I totally forgot about that bad-ass back that Memphis has. He went apeshit on Akron.

Champs Sports
Clemson (7-4) vs. Colorado (7-5)
I just flipped a coin and it landed on its edge...so, um, Colorado to try and salvage the season after stumbling at the end and firing Rick Neuhiesel?
Stupid coin. Stupid hopeful logic.

Insight
Arizona State (6-5) vs. Rutgers (7-4)
I don't care if Rutgers is feeling great for getting in a bowl game. That aint enough to beat the Sun Devils.
I was a little pissed at the Sun Devils in the 1st, but got over it after a lot of beer and the final score.

MPC Computers
Boise State (9-3) vs. Boston College (8-3)
I like the Broncos and all, but I think I have to give this to ACC battle-tested Boston College instead.
Good thing I decided not to give it to the Broncos even though they were playing on that stupid, blue turf.

MasterCard Alamo
Michigan (7-4) vs. Nebraska (7-4)
I think this is the first time that the Alamo Bowl has had 2 historically good programs in it at the same time. Too bad they both suck this year. I guess I think the Wolverines suck a little less this year.
They said it best on Sportscenter when showing that 35 minute clip of Michigan's last ditch lateral-fest of a play: "This is what Michigan football has come to."

Emerald Bowl
Georgia Tech (7-4) vs. Utah (6-5)
Screw Tech. Go Heels!
Ha ha. This one was just out of spite really. I got lucky.

Pacific Life Holiday
Oregon (10-1) vs. Oklahoma (7-4)
I'm sorry but I'm picking Oregon just out of my love for any team with a duck as the mascot. The fact that they finished 2nd in the PAC 10 doesn't hurt. And I don't like Oklahoma (sorry JR).
Damnit damnit damnit! Frickin' Sooners! The Ducks made me look like a quack. Sorry.

Gaylord Hotels Music City
Minnesota (7-4) vs. Virginia (6-5)
Not sure what happened to the Golden Gophers after the great start they had, but I'll give them the nod in this one. Oh, and: Heh heh.."Gaylord"
Gah! Now I know what happened to the stupid Gophers: they started sucking ass.

Vitalis Sun
Northwestern (7-4) vs. UCLA (9-2)
Whatever. The Bruins having both a male and female mascot running around the sidelines at games almost cost them this one. But one of the Josie mascots is kinda cute. Joe & Josie Bruin it is.
Sweet! Brittany didn't make me look like an ass like most girls do.

Independence
South Carolina (7-4) vs. Missouri (6-5)
Spurrier got his 'Cocks to beat Florida and Tennessee this season and a bowl game? Sure, stick with 'em.
You have GOT to be kidding me...

Chick-fil-A Peach
Miami (9-2) vs. LSU (10-2)
This game's almost win-win just for the match up. But LSU couldn't do me the favor of beating UGAy for SEC title, so screw the Bayou Bengals.
Son of a bitch! They can't beat UGAy, but they can beat Miami? Damn. And after I blasted my dad for changing his pick to Miami after picking LSU. Serves us both right, I guess.

Meineke Car Care
South Florida (6-5) vs. NC State (6-5)
*yawn* Wha? Huh?
Ummm, yay? I picked the winner of the Snoozer Bowl. Greeaat.

AutoZone Liberty
Tulsa (8-4) vs. Fresno State (8-4)
This is the Bulldog team that took Southern Cal to the limit earlier...and then lost to Nevada and La. Tech. I guess it just depends on which team decides to show up.
Apparently it was the latter. Assholes.

EV1.net Houston
TCU (10-1) vs. Iowa State (7-4)
TCU is 10-1. Good enough for me, 'cause I don't really care.
Still above .500. Barely.

AT&T Cotton
Texas Tech (9-2) vs. Alabama (9-2)
Jesus! How many freakin' bowl games are there? I'm still picking these damned things? You're still reading this? Well, I'll make Michael happy and say "Roll Tide!"
Heart palpatations... Labored breathing... Barely won (again). But hey, a win's a win.

Outback
Iowa (7-4) vs. Florida (8-3)
What the Hell is a Hawkeye? A bird? An eye? A bird's eye? I know that Hawkeye is an Avenger, but this isn't Clint Barton. *chomp* *chomp*
If Iowa had a guy named Clint Barton on their team I woulda picked them. But they didn't. And Florida did have Chris Leak who showed the world how much Ingle Martin sucked.

Toyota Gator
Louisville (9-2) vs. Virginia Tech (10-2)
Ooooooooooh. This ought to be good 'un. A real shoot out if things go well. I'll make Kelley happy with this one and pick the "there's actually no such things as" Hokies.
And indeed it was a good 'un.

Capital One
Wisconsin (9-3) vs. Auburn (9-2)
I'm sorry, but I appear to have left my "give a damn" in the car. 2 kind of disappointing teams this year really. Badgers? We don't need no stinking Badgers. Tigers? Yeah, we need them.
Frickin' Badgers! Damnit!

Tostitos Fiesta
Notre Dame (9-2) vs. Ohio State (9-2)
Please, please, please, God let the Irish win. Mostly so I can rub it in my dad's face because I know he's going to pick those stupid nuts.
Turns out my dad picked ND because he said that every time he roots against them they win, so he was gonna try reverse psychology on 'em. I said that was dumb. I can hear him laughing at me from 2 hours away.

Nokia Sugar
West Virginia (10-1) vs. Georgia (10-2)
I will never ever ever ever ever ever EVER pick UGAy to win anything. If it took them winning to keep me alive, I'd die a happy man knowing that I screwed them over.




















I don't care if that was the only game I picked right all day, it would still be a good day.

FedEx Orange
Penn State (10-1) vs. Florida State (8-4)
Let's finish off JoePa's semi-miraculous season with a BCS Bowl Game win, shall we?
Ladies and gentlemen...the world's longest BCS bowl game. They wanted to keep playing until JoePa and Bobby were in their 80's.

The Rose Bowl Game Presented by Citi
USC (12-0) vs. Texas (12-0)
For the love of God, please let Mack Brown have made a deal with the Devil to finally have his Longhorns be the team to shut Nick Lachey and the rest of the poser USC fans the Hell up! I bet Vince Young wouldn't give two shits about not winning the Heisman if he wins a BCS Championship (notice I didn't put National Championship).
Yeah, Buddy! Hook 'em 'Horns!!


Well, now let's tabulate the scores here and see what we have.
*beep* *beep* *boop* *beep* *boop* *beepity* *boop*

16-11. Not bad. Not good, but not bad. At least most of the ones I lost were close. And I would have been 17-11 had I cranked this out before Southern Miss vs. Arkansas State. I think everyone but 7 people at Arkansas State picked Southern Miss for that one.

Thus ends another bowl season of me screaming at the TV, calling guys who play their hearts out "assholes", kicking myself for picking a team just because their mascot is a duck, trying to undermine my dad's confidence in his picks, getting screwed by the officials, getting screwed the football gods, getting screwed by my own stupid allegiances, and cheering for anyone who's playing against UGAy. It's been a good season.

D

2 comments:

The Icon said...

Blah, blah, football, blah, blah blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, football, blah, blah, blah, football, Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, football, blah...

D said...

We're a little more used to tearing down goalposts here in the 'Boro.