Monday, February 20, 2006

Cue the Rocky theme

I have to train. I have to train like no man has trained before. Push myself to the limit until my mind, body and spirit can take no more. And all because of 9 words. 9 simple, little, off-the-cuff words that were said in jest:

"I bet I can beat Kelley in Buffy trivia."

What started as a harmless jab just to fill another spot in my "100", has turned out to be me biting off more than I can chew apparently. Now Kelley has thrown down the gauntlet of Myneghon and wants a contest.

And there's no way to get out of it. Even though it was a harmless joke, I stuck both my feet in my mouth and quite possibly may have let my mouth write a check my ass can't cash. Not that I ever run away from a fight, mind you. There's just the whole "discretion is the better part of valor" and all that.

But I have a temporary reprieve: Scott asked "Where are we gonna find a big enough geek to come up with the questions to ask you two?"

Kelley and I both know who can fill that role, but she thinks he'd be biased and sway the questions in my favor. I don't. I think he'd want to see just how well he's trained me by putting me up against the Ken Jennings of the Buffyverse.

So, until we get the mediator, arena, time and place set; I have to train. After all; there's 7 seasons, 144 episodes, roughly 6048 minutes and a crapload of vampire dustings I need to get through to be ready.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to make sure there are enough batteries for the remote, cold Vault in the fridge and snacks in the cupboard. Just in case my training gets out of hand, I'll take a cue from Giles:
"Ah. Well, if we hear any inspirational power chords, we'll just lie down until they go away."

D

4 comments:

D said...

I'm sensing a little sarcasm in there, Obi-Wan.

D said...

Adammmm-
Those were the Gentlemen from "Hush". One of the best and most acclaimed episodes of Buffy ever. Season 4.

Alison-
Do they now? I may need to look into that. And it's not cheating.

D said...

See? Logan and I both said you should do it, but Kelley cried foul on that. She thinks you'd be biased.

The Icon said...

I am all about the fairness. I detailed to Derek the mechanics of how the test will work. I will detail it here:

50 questions will be devised. I will hold onto these questions until such a time as the two combatants decide that the test shall be taken. The test will then be sent via e-mail to a non-biased fourth party, possibly Turner, who will then distribute said test.

The test will be taken in view of a witness along with a 30 minute time limit.

I care not who wins, so long as everything is fair.