Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Superheroes + Beer = Good Commercial




+ =

I've been catching this Heineken ad "Darren's Powers" a few times lately, after only seeing it once all last year (I believe around the Super Bowl).

It's by no means a great commercial, but it's got a couple of the things that I like to see in an ad: beer and superheroes. And that's gotta count for something.

Now if it had included any of the following: explosions, a talking bear, half naked (or naked) chicks, Lando Calrissian or David Hasselhoff; it could be one of the single greatest ads ever produced. Right up there with my personal pantheon of "Where's the Beef?", any "Terry Tate" ad, the "John West Salmon" ad, or all of the ESPN "This is Sportscenter" ads.

I think that if I were to see an ad with all of those elements in it, I'd probably turn off the TV and never watch it again. I mean, how do you continue watching after witnessing the most perfect thing ever to be put on television? You should just go out on top, content with knowing the fact that everything else would be an abomination and an affront to everything that you now believed to be good in the world.

Or you could just keep watching and hope for someone to make another commercial for The Clapper...

D

5 comments:

adubya said...

Gotta love the office linebacker...

I caught a Guinness commercial the other day that was just bloopers from the 2 "Brilliant" guys. Awesome... I think I will make lifesize cutouts of those guys to place in my pub room.

D said...

Made a spoof of which ad?

D said...

Like Darren can make talking bears out of random objects instead of beer? But then you lose the beer part. Or do you mean changing out Darren for a talking bear? Then it would be like "Bongo's Power".

Or do you just want me to see the most perfect commercial ever so that I stop watching TV?

D said...

I'm sorry, I'm just not getting it...

D said...

I might loose a lot of bodily fluids. I leave how to your imagination.